Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why I'm starting to dislike Super Sentai

Power Rangers is what got me into Sentai. When I first found out about Sentai, I thought it was cooler and better than Power Rangers. But lately, I'm starting to dislike Sentai.

Let's face it, Toei's going overboard with the mecha use. There are so many unnecessary mechas and such that are used once, maybe twice, and probably never seen again. Take Ushi Origami from Shinkenger for example. That was only seen, what? A good two-three times? Not even. Even the plot for it was terrible. It truly was a waste. At least Power Rangers tries to keep to the story instead of having filler episodes to advertise for unnecessary mecha.

The plot for some are just flat out lame now. Take Shinkenger for example, the plot was really bland and boring. The first half was excellent, until the power up came in, which was also a waste. Shinkenger probably has one of the best cast/characters since Dekaranger, but the series wasn't too good in my opinion. If Shinkenger was your first Sentai, you would love it. But if you've been a fan of Sentai for a long time like myself, you probably wouldn't like it too much. It was decent for me. The last Sentai that actually had a strong plot for me was probably Gekiranger.

And so far, even Goseiger is letting me down. I really had high hopes for this series after the first four episodes, but then it started to get boring and bland for me. I pretty much stopped watching after episode nine.

I've been watching a lot more Power Rangers than Sentai (Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed, and Dino Thunder), and I like it way more than Shinkenger and Goseiger. Hell I even got way too excited when I found out that Season 18 is coming next year. Basically what I'm saying is that, I possibly may be done with Sentai soon. I mean, I still like Sentai and all, but the newer series' aren't really doing it for me. I may just stick with watching the older series' and Power Rangers. But until then, I may pick up watching Goseiger and maybe re watch Shinkenger for the third time.

By the way, if I sounded like I was bashing the Sentai fandom, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to sound like it. But please understand that I am stating my own opinion, and opinions can't be wrong.

4 comments:

  1. Well, if this is bothering you a lot, then just forget about it. Pretend Sentai doesn't exist anymore. As if it got cancelled after Gekiranger. Then, it won't bother you anymore. And you can just focus on the 18th PR season, without the thoughts of Japanese shows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, everyone is entitled to opinions. Me, Shinkenger was the series that rekindled my passion for Sentai, but I can't help but notice that they went overboard for the mechas, and if they have to sacrifice story and character for that, well that can't be good... Still, I'm sticking with Sentai for now.

    By the way, before I comment, it is listed that this post has 1 comment. Why can't I see it (the previous comment)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you say Gekiranger has a strong plot, I agree. After that, nah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.
    In fact, I'm only watching Goseiger hoping it picks up soon.

    I'm more into Kamen Rider now.

    ReplyDelete